Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

Can anyone relate????...
The toilet paper MUST hang OVER NOT UNDER!
Image result for toilet paper
Why must you squeeze the toothpaste in the MIDDLE of the tube EVERY TIME???

Image result for toothpaste images
Really?!? You just threw those dirty clothes on the floor A FOOT AWAY from the laundry basket?!?
Image result for dirty clothes
Is our water faucet broken? Are we out of rags? Is the dishwasher not working?


Now NONE of these pictures are actually from my house...so don't go tell my hubby I ratted him out...HEHEHE.  So since this is an issue that can drive many couples to a down right knock down-drag out...Let's see what God says about how to handle ourselves, even when people are jumping on our LAST NERVE! 

Philippians 2:14-15 says..."Do everything without grumbling and arguing, so that you may be blameless and pure, children of God who are faultless in a crooked and perverted generation, among whom you shine like stars in the world. (HCSB-emphasis mine)"

 I have a friend who told a story about her husband leaving his clothes on the floor right next to the laundry basket after her asking him to put them IN the basket over and over again. One day she had reached her limit and decided to teach him a lesson. She took the clothes that were lying on the floor and put them on his side of the bed, under the covers. She made the bed just like always. That night when he pulled the covers back to get in bed, he found a nice, RIPE, surprise. Just hearing this story makes me laugh. I actually thought about doing it too after hearing it, but my husband's work clothes are sweaty and stank after working outside all day...so I'm not about to put that nastiness in my bed where I'll have to smell it too. Plus, it didn't work anyway, but it was funny!  

I used to sweat the small stuff a lot more than I do now. Over the years and after countless arguments, I have decided (with the help of the Lord of course) that it isn't worth the fight. You have heard choose your battles...and I believe that wholeheartedly. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Well, if we have fought and argued about things over and over again, and it doesn't change anything...why keep arguing? All it's doing is causing undo stress on your marriage when in the long run-big picture, it doesn't make a hill of beans where the toothpaste tube is squeezed or how the toilet paper roll hangs. So, I had to get over my OCD tendencies, and move on. I have to continue to tell myself that when I get to heaven and stand before the Lord, He is NOT going to ask me if my toothpaste tube was straight or if I had clothes on my bathroom floor because someone "missed" the basket. 

So how do we get past all of the little things that our spouses do that drive us BONKERS? 
JUST...
 Image result for toothpaste images
and "do everything without grumbling and arguing, so that you may be blameless and pure"... I know it's hard sometimes to let things go, but IT'S JUST NOT WORTH IT! Ask yourself the same question I have to ask myself...When I get to heaven and stand before Jesus, is He going to ask me about this? If not, then LET IT GO! Wives, just pick up the clothes if it bothers you so much...husbands just wash the dishes if it bothers you so much...whatever it is, just help out. When I see my husbands dirty clothes on the floor right next to the laundry bin...I get this twitch in my eye...hahaha...but I have learned to let it go. I still make a comment now and then and ask if he has something against the laundry bin, but I have learned to not let it bother me and we laugh about it. In this day and time, most parents (moms and dads) work full time jobs and are both tired and worn out when they come home. Wouldn't it be nice to just enjoy each other and your children (if they are still home) without the added stress of the small annoyances?? 

Colossians 3:17 says..."And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. (HCSB)" So here's a practical way to get past the sweaty clothes, toothpaste tubes, sink full of dishes, etc...If the Lord was standing in front of you...how would you handle it? Would you be happy to do it for Him? Would you graciously help Him complete the task or tell Him to have a seat, that you will take care of it? Most of us would trip over ourselves trying to do for our Lord if He was in our home. Well the Bible is clear...we should do EVERYTHING like we are doing it for the Lord. That means EVERYTHING. So next time the aggravation is rising up, the last nerve you have is hanging on by a tiny thread, or you have just had it...Picture Jesus in your kitchen and DO IT FOR THE LORD. He is with us always anyway, and when you follow His word and are obedient to Him even when you are aggravated, it shows maturity and growth in your relationship with Him. 

Philippians 4:4 says..."Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!" So DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF and rejoice that you have a husband/wife that works hard and loves you. Rejoice that all your family is under your roof and safe and sound. Rejoice that you have a Lord that loves you even when you annoy others or grind on their last living nerve:) Try it! You may just see a huge improvement in your relationships!





Comments