Confessions of a Guilty Conscience

To start off, let me say that I am so sorry that it has been over a month since my last post. I have no excuse except business, exhaustion, etc...which is just what the devil wanted...to slow down my blog posts and me. I am DONE letting him win with this...so I will try to be better about not waiting so long. 

Today, my post was prompted by a directive from God that I totally ignored! I KNOW-- it sounds TERRIBLE when I say it out loud, but in a nutshell, that's what happened. Drew and I were at the grocery store, just picking up a few things on the way home. We got our goods, loaded the car, and got in to leave. I noticed in the car next to me that a woman was loading her groceries with a very small toddler in the front of her buggy. She handed the small child a Yoo-hoo and went to put her in her car seat on the other side of the car. She left her buggy next to her car so she could go put the little one in her seat. I looked at her as I drove past and the Lord spoke to me, "Why don't you let Drew take her buggy so she doesn't have to leave her little one in the car alone." I paused, looked in my rear view mirror--yep, the buggy is still there. But I just kept driving! I asked Drew if he wanted to go put her buggy up for her. He turned to look and then I said, "Never mind..."because at that point I had already pulled out onto the highway. God even told me to pull back in and go back...but I didn't. My stomach hurt, my gut felt heavy, and my heart was broken. I IMMEDIATELY felt guilty and sad that I didn't listen. It was such a small task, such an easy blessing to someone else...and I ignored God. I don't even have a good reason...I really don't even know WHY...but I did. I HAD TO IMMEDIATELY ASK FORGIVENESS, but the guilt remains. I could have helped her tremendously with just that small gesture of kindness. I remember the days of needing to put the buggy up and the cart holder being so far away. I remember cringing because I had a small toddler in the car alone. I remember the fear of someone snatching him in that short amount of time. I could have eased her mind and helped her out...but I didn't listen. 

NOW: How does this all apply to our marriages? Good question! 

NO JUDGEMENTS ALLOWED--I'M BEING REAL, HONEST, AND OPEN--AND IF YOU ARE HONEST, YOU'VE DONE IT TOO!
We have ALL walked past our spouse working on something...struggling with something...and thought, "I should help them with that." BUT WE DON'T. We keep walking, all the while thinking, "He/she didn't help me while I was washing dishes, vacuuming, or washing clothes. He/she didn't help me when I was cutting grass, changing the oil..." and whatever else guys do. We ignore God's directive because of our own selfish plans, desires, etc. We KNOW that if we stopped and said, "Honey, can I help you with that?" it would make their day. It would make their heart smile and ease their frustrations-if there are any. But we just keep walking because we have our own agenda, schedule, or plans for our time. 

Now, don't get me wrong, there are definitely times when one of us may need to be doing something and can't stop and help...I understand that life does not always lend itself to this...BUT there are times when we ALL could do a little more to be helpful, caring, thoughtful--and we just don't...maybe out of stubbornness, selfishness, or just plain laziness. Whatever the reason may be, it doesn't matter. It's a sin to hear God and disobey...or like I did today, just completely ignore Him. 

One question: How would we feel if God walked past us as we prayed and said, "Psh, she didn't help me with that lady's shopping cart." or "He didn't stop to pray with that hurting co-worker...why should I help them?" YIKES! That puts it in perspective, doesn't it? THANK THE LORD HE IS NOT LIKE US! But if we expect God to help us with our needs, wants, and desires that we pray for, why is it so hard for us to help others when He asks us to...ESPECIALLY OUR SPOUSES?

Luke 6:31 says: "Just as you want others to do for you, do the same for them." 

Philippians 2:3-4 says: "Do nothing out of rivalry or conceit, but in humility consider others as more important than yourselves. Everyone should look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others."


So THE CHALLENGE is this:
Next time you hear God speaking to you about helping your spouse, DO IT! Stop what you are doing, put them before yourself, and make their day! You never know, it just may cause a ripple effect that comes back to you two-fold! We can ALL be more helpful, kind, and considerate of our spouse...START TODAY!


Comments